[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Thu Jun 22 18:57:52 UTC 2017

On 06/22/2017 11:43, demelier.david at gmail.com wrote:
> Let me use my example of www/node back. I have built the port www/node
> in poudriere using this origin (so no version). At the time I've built
> it it was a 6.x version. When I upgraded my machine, www/node has
> switched to 7.x version and since this software follows semantic
> versioning, every application using the 6.x branch may or may not work
> anymore.

I completely agree that an annoying consequence of what the volunteers
are doing with the ports tree. These unwelcome surprises are the bulk of
my non-automated work in creating package repositories.

Frankly, I also wish this kind of thing would stop. Ultimately my wishes
are irrelevant for reasons far far beyond the scope of this thread.

> Now, I'm in a state where if I pull the ports tree, I must check if
> www/node6 still exists or I must not upgrade.
>
> With releases branches I will be sure that:
>
>   1. www/node will *always* be at a 6.x version;
>   2. www/node will still be supported for the version of the FreeBSD
> system.

That sounds reasonable...yet others will likely expect www/node to
always be the latest version. Perhaps these others might complain that
it is not the latest version and it would be reasonable to have node
always be at the latest version.

Would you agree that release branches would be unnecessary if somehow
you could select the version of node that the ports tree builds via some
(as yet unspecified) mechanism?
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

If you want to get rid of somebody, just tell them something
for their own good.