[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Thu Jun 22 17:45:51 UTC 2017

On 06/22/2017 08:53, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Yeah but the quarterly branches are relatively useless because they a
> not sync'd to anything and mean nothing special to anyone.

They are not useless to me.

I maintain a fair number of different package repositories for various
purposes. Over a long period of time I've found that trying to build
from HEAD is a random crapshoot as to whether everything you want will
build without you having to svn random ports back and forth through the
revision tree (or patch them yourself), patch your build processes,
and/or ask for help (which you often might not get).

In contrast, the quarterly branches (so far) have built everything I've
wanted cleanly and this has been true for some years. No, the
quarterlies are not perfect, but they seem to be closer to perfect than
HEAD is.

Note that you have to handle the edge cases (recent security patches,
revision mismatch, etc) anyway, HEAD or no. I find I have to handle less
with the quarterlies because they do generally build cleanly.
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

Possession of a system of knowledge, or an interest in it,
or in discovering one, shouldn't be assumed to confer any
license or capacity to operate it. Individual criticisms of
a system, incapacity to operate it, or dissatisfaction with
it should not be confused with any shortcoming of the system
itself.