Unable to upgrade from Samba43 to Samba44 or Samba45

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Sat Jun 10 04:56:53 UTC 2017

Am 08.06.17 um 21:15 schrieb Dimitry Andric:
> On 8 Jun 2017, at 20:35, Mark Knight <lists at knigma.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/06/2017 18:35, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>> I'm guessing that it is confused by an existing samba installation.  Try
>>> removing all other samba installations before attempting to build this
>>> port.
>>
>> Having followed an off-list suggestion to create a package (thanks) as a backup, I removed samba43 and established that your "guess" was right. Thank you!
>>
>> Presumably this implies a bug in the port?
>
> Not really, more a deficiency in portmaster.  The port itself is marked
> as conflicting with any other samba port:
>
> CONFLICTS?=             *samba3[2-6]-3.* samba4-4.0.* samba4[1-356]-4.* p5-Parse-Pidl-4.*
>
> E.g., you should normally not be able to build it when samba43 is
> installed.  Probably, portmaster is overriding this safety belt somehow.

I have always understood CONFLICTS to indicate, that some port
can not be *installed* at the same time as some of the ports listed
as conflicting.

Building such a port while a conflicting version is installed, is
possible most of the time. If such a build fails, it is most ofter
due to the build preferring the already installed headers over those
provided with the new version (i.e. a wrong ordering of include
paths).

Since port developers typically test ports in poudriere (to get a
clean build environment and e,g, to be sure, all dependencies are
correctly specified), they often don't notice such conflicts with
already installed versions of the same port.

Regards, STefan