py-enchant and wxPython Dependency

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 4 16:59:29 UTC 2017

On 6/5/17 2:50 AM, Pete Wright wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a webapp that is making use of textproc/py-enchant for
> spellchecking in some input forms we use.  when i install py-enchant via
> pip it only requires some libraries that ship with textproc/enchant.
> yet when i install the py27-enchant pkg it looks like i have to slup in
> about 1GB of deps - including lots of X libraries (libGL for example).
> This seems to be related to having "USE_WX" flag set in the
> textproc/py-enchant Makefile.
>
> Since my use-case is for a python webapp I have no need for wxPython and
> it's dependency tree.  Is there an easy way to re-build this port w/o
> the wxPython dependency?  I can confirm the py-enchant works fine
> without wxPython when it is installed via pip inside a python venv.  My
> understanding is that the USE_* flags are not really meant to be
> user-settable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -pete

Hi Pete,

If WX is optional (for enchant) then it should be made an OPTION to at
least allow ports users to disable the dependency and its consequent
features, and if you're a package user, the ability to create a custom
package.

This should take place as a request in Bugzilla (with rationale, etc)
with a summary like:

textproc/py-enchant: Make WX OPTION'al

CC'ing port maintainer