The future of portmaster [and of ports-mgmt/synth]

Fri Jun 2 14:38:43 UTC 2017

On 02.06.2017 16:29, Thierry Thomas wrote:
>   écrivait :
>
>> Just as a short note: there is a complete rewrite of portmaster ongoing.
>> Since its a beast and everything else is very hard there is no public
>> evidence in case of failure. ;) Until now.
>
> I've been using portupgrade and then portmaster for a long time. I can
> understand the need for such tools when you have to build ports with
> non-default options.
>
> But I have a naive question: if pkg supports flavours, and binary
> packages are built for your sets of options, is portmaster still
> relevant?

No, but most portmaster user do not have the default set of options. And
flavours do not change the options of binary packages - as far as i
understand. The should solve problems like having multiple ports of the
same programm but for php 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1 at the same time. Or for
different python or ruby versions.

Greetings,
Torsten