github repo to port

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 23:10:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 at 9:54 pm, Athanasios Douitsis <aduitsis at cpan.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Totally new to ports maintenance, please bear.
>
> Is there a way for a port to be semi-automatically updated from a github
> repo as its source?
>
> I understand that a ports committer (which I am not) must always be present
> in the process, just looking for the optimal way to handle maintenance.
>
> If this has been discussed before, my apologies.
>
> Many thanks,

Hi Athanasios,

It's not automatic unfortunately.

The process for updating a port (github or otherwise) is generally:
1. Change PORTVERSION in port Makefile
2. Run make makesum to update distfiles
3. Attempt port build to determine if it works, and if the files it
installs has changed
4. Update pkg-plist with any changes to installed files (make makeplist).
5. Final testing/QA/QC and commit or submit bug report with patch if you
are not a committee

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods