a quick question about make package-recursive

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 29 11:55:29 UTC 2017

On 29/01/2017 01:02, John wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, at 19:25, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> Hint: use poudriere.  You're going to have a one-time hit to generate a
>> repository full of packages, but after that, poudriere will be much
>> cleverer about working out what is necessary to rebuild.
>
> Does poudriere work on aarch64? I heard somewhere that was not the case
> (it might have been in the context of cross-compiling though amd64 to
> aarch64 - my use context is not (i.e it's entirely aarch64)).

It's a mostly shell script but it does have a few small bits of C-code.
As far as I know, it works pretty much on all known architectures where
there's a toolchain that can compile code.

The cross compiling thing -- which requires running the emulated CPU
under qemu on an amd64 host -- should work fine.  It was for a time (and
may still be) the way official package builds were being done for
architectures where hardware of a scale suitable for building 25,000 odd
packages wasn't readily available.

	Cheers,

	Matthew