Firefox and sndio

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 21:40:49 UTC 2017

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 14:58:51 +0000
Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:

> On 28/01/2017 11:37, Tobias Kortkamp wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 28, 2017, at 11:23, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> >> Audio in Firefox seems to be working fine when ALSA is enabled. But when
> >> ALSA is disabled and only SNDIO is enabled there is no sound. In either
> >> case I had PULSEAUDIO disabled. What's the expected configuration for
> >> this to work?
> > Is sndiod running?  If not:
> >
> >      sysrc sndiod_enable=YES
> >      service sndiod start
> >

> Thanks Tobias. That helped. Out of interest. Is there any reason why I
> should prefer either SNDIO, PUlSEAUDIO or ALSA?

This currently creates a problem for those of us using Firefox from
packages because the default build has SNDIO turned off.

$ pkg info firefox
firefox-51.0_2,1
Name           : firefox
Version        : 51.0_2,1
Installed on   : Sat Jan 28 09:32:22 2017 GMT
Origin         : www/firefox
Architecture   : freebsd:11:x86:64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : ipv6 www
Licenses       :
Maintainer     : gecko at FreeBSD.org
WWW            : http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
Comment        : Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
Options        :
        ALSA           : on
        BUNDLED_CAIRO  : on
        CANBERRA       : off
        DBUS           : on
        DEBUG          : off
        DTRACE         : on
        FFMPEG         : on
        GCONF          : off
        GNOMEUI        : off
        GTK2           : off
        GTK3           : on
        INTEGER_SAMPLES: off
        LIBPROXY       : off
        OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS: on
        PGO            : off
        PROFILE        : off
        PULSEAUDIO     : on
        RUST           : on
        SNDIO          : off
        TEST           : off

[snip]

Annotations    :
        cpe            :
cpe:2.3:a:mozilla:firefox:51.0:::::freebsd11:x64:2 no_provide_shlib: yes
        repo_type      : binary
        repository     : FreeBSD

--
Mike Clarke