a quick question about make package-recursive

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Sat Jan 28 17:17:56 UTC 2017

Hello ports@,

Is make package-recursive smart enough to detect when:

1. there is already a package in /usr/ports/packages (so that it doesn't
re-make a package for an installed port)

2. a port is installed but there is no package (so that it just installs
the package into /usr/ports/packages)

Let's say I'm in /usr/ports/mail/mutt. There are some (but not all)
build dependencies installed, and some (but not all) run dependencies
installed. All of these have packages built, and I'm not running make
clean. Assume I'm not changing anything with make configure or
configure-recursive. If I type make package-recursive in
/usr/ports/mail/mutt, is it going to re-make the packages for all the
stuff already installed?

For context, this is on aarch64. I don't want it to spend time
recompiling packages it already has. What I'm doing at the moment is
keeping an eye on build and run dependencies, and going into each one
and typing make package, so that at some time in the future, if I have
to reinstall from scratch, I can point pkg at the packages I've already
made. Basically I want to know if there's a smarter way of doing this. I
*think* I saw a ports dependencies being written a new package despite
the package already being there.

thanks,
--
J.