Firefox and sndio

Tobias Kortkamp t at tobik.me
Sat Jan 28 15:39:42 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017, at 16:08, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> Works fine here with SNDIO enabled and ALSA/PULSEAUDIO disabled (with an
> Audigy2, emu10kx driver in kernel). I don't have an sndiod running.

Good to know, but if no sndiod is running then libsndio will
default to /dev/dsp0 instead of using whatever you set in
hw.snd.default_unit.  The rc script takes that into account and
looks at the sysctl and starts the daemon with the correct flags.
It's no surprise when it doesn't work out of the box for some
people.

Another caveat is that you will not get any application level
volume control without a running daemon.

There is maybe an upcoming patch to change this, but I still
recommend you run sndiod for now.