11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Wed Jan 25 07:55:09 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 07:20:45AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > [61]cnc# make install
> > /!\ ERROR: /!\
> >
> > Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
> > guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.
> >
> > No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
> > ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.
>
> 11.0-RC1 was superseded by 11.0-REL, so while that message is a bit
> drastic, there's a point to it.

With that argument only the latest version would be supported.
That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
there never had been any official support at all.
In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
ended it implies that there was support.

The check in the code is this one:
.if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
    (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)

It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
My OSVERSION is 1100121.
So obviously support starts with the first release.
Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de