Correct order when upgrading to 11.0 Release with Poudriere

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Sun Jan 22 17:30:03 UTC 2017

Hi!

> Is there a canonical way of upgrading FreeBSD to a newer major version?

Normally, FreeBSD major-version X+1 will support binaries
for major-version X.

> So, it seems that I need to upgrade the base first before being able to
> build packages.

Yes.

> If I upgrade base and it breaks poudriere's ABI, I won't be able to
> build new packages.

For what it's worth, I assume that the base upgrade does not break
the ABI.

> One workaround would be to install the official
> poudriere package and then attempt to rebuild all applications.
> In either case it seems that the system would be unusable between the
> time of upgrading the base and finishing compiling all packages and
> reinstalling them, which may take a day or so. Is there any other way?

I use a reference host to build and test ports and upgrades. Maybe
you have some spare hardware, too ?

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !