Correct order when upgrading to 11.0 Release with Poudriere

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Sun Jan 22 17:06:04 UTC 2017

Is there a canonical way of upgrading FreeBSD to a newer major version?

The handbook
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
says:

Major versions use different Application Binary Interfaces (ABIs), which
will break most third-party applications. After a major version upgrade,
all installed packages and ports need to be upgraded.

So, it seems that I need to have the packages ready and compiled before
attempting an upgrade of the base. However, poudriere says:

[00:00:00] ====>> Warning: !!! Jail is newer than host. (Jail: 1100122,
Host: 1003000) !!!
[00:00:00] ====>> Warning: This is not supported.
[00:00:00] ====>> Warning: Host kernel must be same or newer than jail.
[00:00:00] ====>> Warning: Expect build failures.

So, it seems that I need to upgrade the base first before being able to
build packages.

If I upgrade base and it breaks poudriere's ABI, I won't be able to
build new packages. One workaround would be to install the official
poudriere package and then attempt to rebuild all applications.
In either case it seems that the system would be unusable between the
time of upgrading the base and finishing compiling all packages and
reinstalling them, which may take a day or so. Is there any other way?

Grzegorz