libstdc++

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jan 11 20:57:11 UTC 2017

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Adam Weinberger wrote:

> > I want to install "aspell", and it wants "libstdc++.so.6".  All I can
> > find under ports is /usr/ports/lang/libstdc++_stldoc_4.2.2, which
> > seems to be documentation only.  Is the port for the library itself
> > available, to make "aspell" happy?  Or is it one of those silly GNU
> > things are aren't allowed to be distributed under another licence?
>
> You said in a prior message that you'd put 9.x libraries into your
> system. That's quite far from being a supported operation and it will
> lead to failures.

Not all of them, no; only the ones needed to support stuff like Alpine
which won't build on 10.3 due to its schizophrenic view of OpenSSL
(maintainer contacted, but no reply); I explained this in another thread.

> Assuming that you have installed everything from packages, you can
> upgrade and reinstall all of them with "pkg upgrade -f". Remove all
> those 9.x libraries that you installed and run that command.

I prefer to install from ports, to get the options I want rather than
someone else's opinion of what I might want...

> If you're getting packages with the wrong ABI, have you changed anything
> in /etc/pkg/ or /usr/local/etc/pkg/?

Haven't touched them, because I don't know what they are...