openldap-client vs openldap-sasl-client

Franco Fichtner franco at lastsummer.de
Tue Jan 10 05:48:52 UTC 2017

> On 9 Jan 2017, at 11:54 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
>
> I don't need SASL for LDAP client, but somebody messed up ports tree with WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL which is for users and not maintainers:
>
> # WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL
> #                               - User-defined variable to depend upon SASL-enabled OpenLDAP
> #                                 client. Must NOT be set in a port Makefile.

This note was added two days ago and it's simply not correct,
and/or overcome by events as it is against the common practice
in the tree *and* adhering to it would break currently working
ports.

OpenLDAP needs framework improvements of the sort that gssapi
or ssl received, but we have yet to hear from the maintainer of
OpenLDAP on the matter.

So far, there was a single answer on the suggestion to unify
SASL into OpenLDAP as a default option, to be taken out by avid
self-made port builders when they are sure they don't need it
and don't break their ports.  The plus would be no more
package name changes of the sort openldap-{sasl-,}client and
the dependency tracking issues associated with having two
ports clash with each other, because they are "same same but
different".

Cheers,
Franco