suggested patch for bsd.ports.mk

Vlad K. vlad-fbsd at acheronmedia.com
Tue Jan 3 10:44:40 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-03 11:31, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Sometime ago I proposed the following change.
>
> I got several "yes please" from members of the public,
> but no actionable response from members of the ports group
> So I am asking again.

I haven't checked the code in detail for correctness, but conceptually
this is nice. I wanted to propose something like this last year,
inspired by Gentoo's ability to just drop a patch in a directory in /etc
which would be picked up automatically by portage.

However, I was convinced that it's unnecessary work because any custom
patches can be added directly to the /files/ directory of the port and
if using svn'd ports tree, it's easy to track and even push upstream.

But seeing that someone else now thinks this is good too, I'd like to
cast my vote again for this. Yes, it's easy to do it with svn, but with
something like this it should be possible to add an ability for
Poudriere (and Synth?) to track multiple patches for multiple sets
without the need to "pollute" the ports tree. Why? A/B testing,
different arches - different patches, etc....

So here: YES PLEASE.

Julian, did you put it up for comments on reviews.freebsd.org?

--
Vlad K.