Problem with index

Gerard Seibert carmel_ny at outlook.com
Mon Feb 20 14:13:18 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 13:41:41 +0100, Tijl Coosemans stated:

>On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:29:47 +0000 Matthew Seaman
><matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> On 2017/02/20 11:36, Gerard Seibert wrote:
>>> I just updated my ports tree using "portsnap". I then ran the
>>> following command:
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/pkg version -vL=
>>>
>>> This resulted in the following message:
>>>
>>> postfix-current-3.2.20170129,4     >   succeeds index (index has
>>> 3.2.0.r1,4)
>>>
>>> This does not seem correct. What is happening and how do I correct
>>> it?
>>
>> Your index file is out of date -- portsnap doesn't updated it
>> because it changes too fast to be suitable for keeping in SVN.
>>
>> You need to
>>
>>   # make fetchindex
>>
>> from /usr/ports to download a pre-built index.  Or build your own, by
>> 'make index'.  Or tell 'pkg version' to compare versions directly
>> with what's in your ports tree by 'pkg version -vP=' (but this will
>> be quite a bit slower).
>
>Portsnap should update the INDEX file.  Check /etc/portsnap.conf.
>There should be a line like this: INDEX INDEX-<N> DESCRIBE-<N> where
><N> is the major version of the FreeBSD release you have installed
>(10, 11 or 12).

Okay, I followed Matthew's advice and ran 'make index', but that did
not change anything. The line described by Tiji is present and correct
in the '/etc/portsnap.conf' file.

Also, 'pkg version -vP=' bombs out with an "illegal option -- =". Sans
the "=", it reports, "postfix-current-3.2.20170129,4     >   succeeds
index (index has 3.2.0.r1,4), which is what was being reported
previously.

I even ran 'portsdb -Fu' which updated the index also. However, that
did not correct the problem.

I am open to suggestions.

--
Carmel