The future of portmaster

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 17 10:49:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:08:52PM +0100, Luca Pizzamiglio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> portmaster, a tool used/loved/hated, is almost in abandoned state.
> I'm a portmaster user, because, in some cases, it fits my needs.
> In other cases, I use other tools, like poudriere or synth, that are
> really great.
> I don't want to open a discussion here about what it's better, but the
> truth is, that I use portmaster and it's not maintained.
> So I decided to spend some time to look at it and to work on it.
>
> I forked it and I start some work.
> The plan is:
> - remove obsolete features, like the -PP option
> - remove pkg_* support (even if someone could be against it), forcing
> the usage of pkg
> - prepare the support of new features like FLAVORS and subpackages
> - adding a new ports, called portmaster-devel, for the new version
>
> I did a branch on github working of the first two points
> (https://github.com/pizzamig/portmaster/tree/remove_oldpkg)
>
> I'm looking for constructive critics, feedbacks, anything that can
> help me to make portmaster an actively maintained and used tool.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards,
> pizzamig
>
> PS: I won't start a port/pkg tool war, my opinion is that the world is
> big enough to have poudriere, synth, portmaster, portupgrade and
> whatever tool you will write to handle/build any ports package in the
> way that you prefer.

Glad to see someone will to work on it.

On your work please make sure the minimize the dependency on origin being a
unique identifier. We are working on having subpackages, flavors which means
multiple packages would have the same origin.

If we want to keep portmaster working it has to grow the knowledge of multiple
packages can have the same origin.

Best regards,
Bapt