The future of portmaster

Luca Pizzamiglio luca.pizzamiglio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:09:14 UTC 2017

Hi all,

portmaster, a tool used/loved/hated, is almost in abandoned state.
I'm a portmaster user, because, in some cases, it fits my needs.
In other cases, I use other tools, like poudriere or synth, that are
really great.
I don't want to open a discussion here about what it's better, but the
truth is, that I use portmaster and it's not maintained.
So I decided to spend some time to look at it and to work on it.

I forked it and I start some work.
The plan is:
- remove obsolete features, like the -PP option
- remove pkg_* support (even if someone could be against it), forcing
the usage of pkg
- prepare the support of new features like FLAVORS and subpackages
- adding a new ports, called portmaster-devel, for the new version

I did a branch on github working of the first two points
(https://github.com/pizzamig/portmaster/tree/remove_oldpkg)

I'm looking for constructive critics, feedbacks, anything that can
help me to make portmaster an actively maintained and used tool.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
pizzamig

PS: I won't start a port/pkg tool war, my opinion is that the world is
big enough to have poudriere, synth, portmaster, portupgrade and
whatever tool you will write to handle/build any ports package in the
way that you prefer.