Expulsion of John Marino - reasons and impact?

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Wed Feb 15 13:25:34 UTC 2017

Hello,

On 02/14/2017 06:15 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>>> I think that commit message combined with
>>> https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html is enough.
>> The commit message basically says that he misbehaved once too often and the CoC defines what "misbehave" might mean. Not over the top transparent/detailed to be honest.
>
> Right, would you want an organization you volunteered for to drag your
> name through the mud for some reason?  I don't think it's our place (the
> project) to say more than we already have publicly.  Please drop this
> before it gets out of hand.  Discussing people personally/negatively in
> a public forum is not appropriate.

John has posted on the FreeBSD forums[1] that he did nothing and that
there is "[no] evidence of continued bad behavior", so this argument
holds no water any longer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending him. I have witnessed his nature
publicly, and I have been on the receiving end here on the list and
privately. However, he was an extremely active committer and at a time
when PR's wait for committers, people complain that there aren't enough
volunteers, and mentors are maxed out, perhaps a simple "trust us" (to
use John's words) does not suffice. JMMHO of course.

[1] https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/59705/#post-342589
--
Jim Ohlstein