Question on upgrading ports after 9.3->10.3

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Feb 12 03:14:14 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 02:05:26PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Me again :-)  I finally got around to following the notes that David
> Wolfskill kindly provided (thanks!) and apart from some oddity about
> "httpd" requiring a missing "libdb-4.2.so.2" (which will get rebuilt
> anyway), I'm a bit wary of this:
>
> 7. Back up any files in /usr/local that you wish to save [...]
> 8. Manually check /usr/local [...] to make sure that they are really
>    empty.
>
> Errm, why?  Is it going to clean out /usr/local from under my feet?  If
> so, then that's a bit rude...  Because of disk space limitations, I've got
> /usr/ports -> /usr/local/ports (/usr/local is a separate file system).
> And then there's all my private stuff...  I think it means "save any local
> configuration files etc"; if so, it could be better phrased.

My interpretation is that the concerning directives (copied form the
tail end of the portmaster(8) man page) are referring to subdirectories
of /usr/local that installation of ports may modify -- e.g, bin, etc,
lib, libexec, sbin; probably a few others.  I have no reason to belive
that /usr/local/ports will be harmed... at least, unless something goes
wrong. :-/

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
How could one possibly "respect" a misogynist, racist, bullying con-man??!?