FreeBSD Port: geomWatch-1.3.0_2

Robert William Vesterman bob at vesterman.com
Sat Feb 11 20:45:48 UTC 2017

Hello,

I just found the geomWatch port which you maintain.  I have a question
about it, but haven't been able to find the answer yet, so I hope you
don't mind me asking you:

I intentionally do not have a full blown MTA on my box, so I don't have
anything listening at localhost:25.  Instead, I use the ssmtp
<https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=ssmtp&stype=all&sektion=all>
port, as suggested in the FreeBSD handbook section "Setting Up to Send
Only" <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/outgoing-only.html>.  ssmtp
is then configured to talk to an external SMTP server whenever a local
account tries to send an email.

I tried setting up geomWatch, but it seems like it requires speaking
directly to an SMTP server.  Is this correct? Or is there a way to set
it up so that it perhaps just uses something like the built-in "mail"
command to send, which would (on my box) then use ssmtp behind the scenes?

Or must I either set up an SMTP server on my box or else configure
geomWatch to use an external SMTP server?

Thanks,

Bob Vesterman