Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:57:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 05:26:00PM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 04:30:20PM +0100, Franco Fichtner wrote:
> > > FreeBSD package management makes an ABI promise in the form of
> > > "FreeBSD:10:amd64", but not even pkg code itself adheres to this,
> > > and thus we have had subtle and yet fatal breakage in 10.2 and 10.3.
> > Stop spreading FUD. There is no ABI breakage on stable/10 branch,
> > nor there is a breakage in the package sets.
>
> On the one hand:
>
> Maybe we can agree that the pkg binary breaking between different
> 10.x versions was unfortunate ? I understand that it was not a
> break of the ABI promises per se, but I can tell you, I was surprised
> as well, when it bite me 8-}
The pkg did not break.  Your usage of it and probably assumptions which
lead to that usage, are broken.  It is as simple as never use a binary
which was built for later system, on earlier.  Even if the binary run, you
get undefined results, e.g. data corruption.

We even grow kern.disallow_high_osrel knob to help people, who cannot
manage herself, to avoid shooting into their foot.  There are some obvious
drawbacks from setting this knob on by default, which explains why it
is not set (it makes recovering from other user mistakes much harder
and the failure mode much more fatal).