Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu Feb 9 16:44:15 UTC 2017

Kurt Jaeger wrote on 2017/02/09 17:26:
> Hi!
>
>> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 04:30:20PM +0100, Franco Fichtner wrote:
>>> FreeBSD package management makes an ABI promise in the form of
>>> "FreeBSD:10:amd64", but not even pkg code itself adheres to this,
>>> and thus we have had subtle and yet fatal breakage in 10.2 and 10.3.
>> Stop spreading FUD. There is no ABI breakage on stable/10 branch,
>> nor there is a breakage in the package sets.
>
> On the one hand:
>
> Maybe we can agree that the pkg binary breaking between different
> 10.x versions was unfortunate ? I understand that it was not a
> break of the ABI promises per se, but I can tell you, I was surprised
> as well, when it bite me 8-}
>
> On the other hand:
>
> Getting the ports/pkg tree moving with the velocity necessary
> to cope with the fast-changing world, sometimes things break
> and we all try to prevent this. Sometimes, mistakes happen...

I don't have a problem with pkg / ports but I see the point from some
others perspective.

Why don't add some check in to "pkg" to deny (or warn user) upgrade or
install on unsupported / EOLed system?
Just check version on current system against some metadata info in
repository.

Is it too much to ask?

Miroslav Lachman