Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 9 16:11:16 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 02/09/2017 11:01, Franco Fichtner wrote:

>> On 9 Feb 2017, at 4:47 PM, Steve Wills <swills at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> They're supposed to upgrade to a supported version of FreeBSD.
>
> pkg won't refuse the upgrade.  And at least if it upgraded, it
> should not break itself.

Even if the update of pkg were done before the upgrade of the OS, if the
user ran "freebsd-update" to upgrade to 10.3, the version of pkg that it
updated to would work properly.

> Imagine a GUI-driven appliance being bricked.  There is nobody
> who can tell it "fetch ports and build pkg to keep using it".

Vendors should be building their own packages.

> Don't get me wrong.  Automation around pkg is really good, though
> that doesn't warrant it's perfect (yet).

I agree it's good, and nothing is ever perfect.

Steve