Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

list-freebsd-ports at jyborn.se list-freebsd-ports at jyborn.se
Wed Feb 8 22:11:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 12:34:36PM -0500, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
> For those people (I'm one) long version lifespans and bug-free
> operation  is a much bigger desideratum than winning the secret
> race (I presume there is some kind of secret race going on, since
> otherwise the crazy scheduling makes No Sense At All).  I can't
> work out what the strategy for winning is, if there is a
> strategy, but I do know that it's not working.   Linux has all
> but won already, and that's sickening.
>
> I've been using the o/s since before v2 (I still have the cds)
> and have watched FreeBSD go from being the leading Unix on Intel
> boxes to all-but-dead.  I don't know how to express how saddened
> I feel about that.

My feelings exactly. I've been a FreeBSD user and strong advocater
since around FreeBSD v1/v2. But the last few years the management
of FreeBSD has steered away from making the best server OS, and
instead focusing on ... what exactly?

Making the ports system capable of handling a totally overwhelming
number of more or less meaningless ports of different versions and
flavours, and rolling/retiring the base releases at high speed just
to avoid drowning under the workload of keeping all those ports
functional?

Who needs/wants this evolution in a server OS?
(Linux already owns the desktop, let's not waste any time
discussing that regrettable fact.)

I'm sorry, and apologies to all great heroes doing all the
volunteer work on both FreeBSD base and the ports system,
but this is how I feel about what is going on with FreeBSD.

As I have never contributed to FreeBSD in any way, other than
promoting it to others, I don't have a say in the matter, nor
do I expect anyone to care about my view. But I'm just really,
really sad to follow what in my opinion is the slow demise of
FreeBSD.

Sorry about all the negativism.

Peter