ports and dependency hell

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Tue Feb 7 19:17:44 UTC 2017

On 07/02/2017 18:03, Julian Elischer wrote:
> This is a serious post  on a serious issue that ports framework people
> seem unaware of.
> (...)
>
> The call "It just works under linux, select the versions you want of
> each package and type make" is often heard around the company. And
> management is not totally deaf.

Hi Julian,
I may not fully understand how it works but what prevents you from
getting sources for the version you want and typing make in them,
exactly the way you do it in Linux? It should pick up the versions of
dependencies currently installed in the system and compile for them. Is
it only when you want to use the ports infrastructure that poses a problem?

Grzegorz