cmake release builds don't disable assertions (NDEBUG)

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 6 21:28:30 UTC 2017

Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de> writes:

> While debugging an unexpected assertion problem, I noticed that ports
> using cmake don't set -NDEBUG, even when building in Release mode.
>
> Is this intentional?

Is it the software you're porting that checks for DEBUG or some library
it uses?

CMake code should check for CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE and adjust the compiler
flags accordingly (if at all); so if the software itself is checking for
DEBUG but not passing (or omitting it) I'd say the bug is there, not in
Mk/Uses/cmake.mk.