6100 subdirectories in /usr/ports/devel!

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Thu Dec 28 21:47:42 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 04:28:43AM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> 29.12.2017 4:16, Bob Willcox wrote:
>
> >> In fact, ports/devel is first but not only category having similar problem with p5-* stuff:
> >>
> >> $ cd /usr/ports
> >> $ find . -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 | while read category; do printf "%15s " ${category#./}; ls $category | sed 's/-.*//' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head -1; done | sort -k 2,2 -rn | head -15
> >>           devel 1908 p5
> >>             www  807 p5
> >>        textproc  617 p5
> >>             net  327 p5
> >>       databases  259 p5
> >>        security  258 p5
> >>            math  146 p5
> >>            mail  145 p5
> >>        graphics  100 p5
> >>         editors   98 libreoffice
> >>        sysutils   75 rubygem
> >>      converters   72 p5
> >>            misc   63 p5
> >>        net-mgmt   56 p5
> >>    x11-toolkits   49 p5
> >>

> > Yeah, I happened to notice the py-* stuff due to some problems I have been
> > having with synth. I did notice the large number of p5-* subdirs but didn't
> > count them.  :)
> >
> > Certainly seems to be out of control...
>
> I like we have all this p5-* stuff in the Ports.
> It seems that 1900+ devel/p5-* ports justify new p5-devel or devel-p5 category, though.
>
> But wouldn't such large move become a nightmare for users updating their systems?

Yeah, I don't mind them being in there (have to admit that I haven't ever been
a perl fan, not since Larry Wall's first version in the '80s), and agree with
you that we should give them their own directory (or directories). I think the
py-* entries could stand the same treatment.

--
Bob Willcox    | If everything is coming your way, you're in the
bob at immure.com | wrong lane.