Canberra

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 08:09:08 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Sid <sid at bsdmail.com> wrote:

> > Blubee blubeeme
> > I'll look at the libcanberra OSS backend and see if I get get the
> changes upstream then the libcanberra maintainer can update the port.
>
> >> Sid
> >> Sooner or later, a drop in replacement for libcanberra needs to be made
> for all BSD's. It should use ogg files from audio/freedesktop-sound-theme.
> Perhaps it can include simple pipe to play ogg and other audio files as
> well. After investigating, libcanberra is suitable for the short term, and
> anything that fails without libcanberra-gtk3 is an issue with the upstream
> ports themselves.
>

> I looked into it more. Canberra is meant only for sound (.oga, .wav), but
> graphical code is tied in heavily into it for XDG icons and graphics
> standards, so the problem is not just around gtk.
>
> The source code of libcanberra has many graphical files and lines, and its
> only binary /usr/local/bin/canberra-gtk-play (--file) requires the window
> display (which shouldn't be needed for sound, and no graphical interface),
> so it can't run from a root console (onto a non-root desktop).
>
> Icons and programs that need Canberra should just call it. Canberra has
> the ability to output a command, if for instance, the sound application
> fails. This should be output back to another program.
>
> libcanberra needs to fork, to have only audio components (to not rely on
> any graphical toolkit), but it is required for it to keep the same GPL
> license. I'll keep looking at it, and take notes on that. Then see if I can
> compile it, leaving out graphical components (I'm C code illiterate). Later
> on, it can be replaced completely by an OSS API of original code.
>
> While no FreeBSD ports currently use pulseaudio and gstreamer for
> libcanberra, that compatibility should stay in (as opposed to what I
> suggested previously).

Who thought that was a good idea, now layer a few more audio layers and u
have Linux[ism] to the max.

Well, I think that it's not really worth it to go untangle that mess.

It's okay if you're using a Gnome DE since it's all in there already but
just to play
a sound file you have to bring in all of this nonsense.

If you want to keep going down the Gnome hole, go ahead let me know when
you get
to the OSS specific issues, if any.

There's a lot more pressing issues that affect a larger surface area than a
DE.

Best