Again, flavors or options?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 06:05:58 UTC 2017

On Dec 20, 2017 6:16 PM, "Yuri" <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

I have the port for the digital currency. It has 3 parts that install
non-intersecting file sets: daemon, cli, qt-ui. The commonality: same
repository, same build options, same license, mostly same port options.

I am attracted to the idea to use flavors to let users choose which part do
they want: FLAVORS=default daemon qt cli

"default" will install all of them, others will install individual parts.
Option list will be slightly different for each flavor.

One alternative: only have port options. Then some options can't be
conditional on which parts are built.

Another alternative: 3 slave ports. I don't like this idea at all.

Do you think flavors are a good fit for this task?

Sounds like a textbook example of sub-packages.

Until then, slave ports would be the next-best thing as that provides
separate packages that can be installed.

Cheers,
Freddie