Procmail got updated!

Ted Hatfield ted at io-tx.com
Thu Dec 21 04:35:08 UTC 2017

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de>
> wrote:

>>> [skip]
>>>
>>> What happened with old good "Tools, not policy" thing?
>>>

>> It's simpler than that, no policy involved.
>>
>> The tool had a hollow head, and broke after several years of banging it,
>> and the former tool maker told the public it's out of warranty (never
>> was in due to it being free) and not being fixed any more, and should be
>> scrapped.
>>

> It still works (painfully) and is used by many.  They would be wise to
> stop, but it is not the job of the project to force them to do so,
>
> I do think that a pkg-message with "Here there be dragons! Proceed at your
> own risk. dropmail is a MUCH safer (and easier) path." would be
> appropriate. I don't think it is the job of the project to force people to
> replace it if they think they know what they are doing. Of course, bitrot
> or similar may take it before long.
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com
> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

I still use sendmail/procmail for all of my systems.  If it's up to a vote
I would vote to keep procmail as a valid port.  That being said I am not a
port maintainer and I wouldn't presume to tell them what to maintain as I
am not the one doing the actual work.

However based upon my experience I am betting that there are a lot of
systems still out there that are still using procmail.

I think if you choose to drop support for procmail you should do as
Kevin suggests and give a warning and a firm date when support will stop.

This will give people a chance to update their systems appropriately.

Ted Hatfield