Vote: making wayland=on default

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Wed Dec 20 23:29:44 UTC 2017

> [...]
>
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:13:43 +0000 <freebsd-ports-owner at freebsd.org> said
>
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 16:23:59 +0000 "Johannes Lundberg" <johalun0 at gmail.com>
> said
>
>> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Chris H <portmaster at bsdforge.com> wrote:
>> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:20:20 +0000 "Johannes Lundberg"
>> <johalun0 at gmail.com>
>> > said

>> > IMHO it's (still) too early. Too much other X(org) related work
>> > still being completed. In fact, I just built a new dev box to
>> > track 12 (CURRENT), and this was the first time I was not required
>> > to pre generate a config file for Xorg. I was only required to
>> > inform /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-driver.conf that
>> > the driver was "nvidia", not "nv". Everything work(s|ed) famously.
>> > A real treat. I'm also a bit concerned about the progress (or lack
>> > there of) on network transparency.
>> > I (personally) could conceive it as a KERNEL OPTION, but would not
>> > want to see it in the Default kernel.
>> >
>> > Well, those are *my* thoughts. Because you asked. :-)
>> >
>> > --Chris
>> >
>> Thanks for your feedback!
>> Just to clarify, we're not talking about changing any defaults that
>> would impact or change users' choice of desktop. We only want to
>> enable Wayland compositors as an alternative to X (leaving X as is).
>> This does not break or modify anything existing. It does not force you
>> to do anything differently. It simply adds a couple of libraries that
>> you won't use unless you run Wayland stuff (if you install qt5/gtk30
>> and mesa-libs).
>> The reference to Linux making it default might have been unclear.
>> Since FreeBSD doesn't have a default desktop, it's hard to change. It
>> is and will continue to be up to the end user what they choose to use,
>> we only add more options :)
> Thanks for the informative reply, Johannes.
> So no kernel (libs/extensions)?
> Hmm, gtk3. Why is it not possible to make the Wayland stuff a sub
> package/option? I think this is the preferred track/policy anyway.
> I do this for all the ports I currently maintain. IOW any DE related
> stuff I install, that uses GNOME related material, will pull in gtk3,
> which, as I understand you say, will ultimately pull in Weston,mesa,...
> is that correct? While I understand, you indicate it's only a few Kb.
> I think it's cruft/(unnecessary)overhead. Which, in and of itself
> seems insignificant. But in the "big picture", and over many (100's)
> of builds/installations, is *not* insignificant. This also dismisses
> the security related work, maintaining extra un(used|needed) material.
> I suppose some will think that I'm just being nit-picky. But IMHO
> I'm not. This sort of thing, if overlooked, *does* affect the bottom
> line.
>
> Thanks again, Johannes!
>
> P.S. I have nothing against Wayland. I'm just not ready to run it
> on anything "production" related, just yet. :-)

The key is to have it in a state that easy to maintain and allows people to install it using pkg install without conflicting with X, so you can switch back and forth easily. I'm also not ready to switch to wayland yet (favorite window manager not available, so many custom configurations I came up with over the years etc.), but giving users an easy way to test it (or use it, as it's becoming more and more mainstream now) is a good thing.

Having a modern, working, out of the box desktop (read: no custom kernel builds, no need to use ports, a laptop is the point of first contact for many potential users) is incredibly important for proliferation and compared to the total size of binaries required to run X, I think the usefulness of providing wayland easily outweighs the extra overhead.

Yours,
Michael