Vote: making wayland=on default

roberthuff at rcn.com roberthuff at rcn.com
Wed Dec 20 22:21:54 UTC 2017

Yuri writes:

>  It appears that this is the case of fixing of something (xorg)
>  that wasn't/isn't broken in the first place. And if it is
>  considered broken, then how, in which way?

	You ask "Is it broken?".
	I ask "Is there a better way?"
	Think about gcc: it was developed in the mid '80s, and at the
time was pretty dang impressive.  But over time ... "provisional"
hacks to handle less-common hardware or specific software anomalies
became permanently entrenched (or so I am told) even as hardware
changed, and both compiler technology and coding practices improved.
	I think of X the same way.

	To the list:
	I salute X for doing its job, but I have no brand loyalty.  If
something comes along that is some combination of a) more robust, b)
faster, and c) as easy to install/manage I'll switch in a heartbeat.
(Smaller footprint would be nice too.)  Is that Wayland?  Fact not
(yet) in evidence.
	Is Wayland-on-FreeBSD in active development?  If so: where -
other than ports@ - do I go to check the /status quo/?

				Respectfully,

					Robert Huff