Vote: making wayland=on default

Niclas Zeising zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
Wed Dec 20 20:47:11 UTC 2017

On 12/20/17 10:20, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to suggest that we enable wayland by default. In current state
> having some parts of wayland in ports is basically useless the
> end-users themselves re-build gtk30 and mesa-libs with wayland
> enabled.
>
> libwayland-egl.so from mesa-libs and the extra libraries and headers
> from gtk30 adds like a few KB, a drop in the ocean compared to xorg
> packages. (might be something more that I missed)
>
> Personally I see no reason not to make it default on, even with
> flavors coming up. For any Desktop user (as well as embedded devices
> like IVI-systems and whatnot), Wayland is the future. There's no
> escaping that.
>
> Wayland has been quite usable on FreeBSD for over a year now but
> access to it is limited due to the extra efforts required to use it.
>
> If we are to compare with the other guys, several Linux distros are
> already switching to wayland-based compositors as default window
> server.
>
> What do you think?

With my x11@ hat on.

I have no problem with this, as long as the old xorg stuff keeps on
working, as you've stated they will do.  I do not have time to fix this
this week, but if you can help me prepare a patch we can perhaps get it
in after that (beginning of next week, in the days between Christmas and
new years).  Do you know which ports are affected by this, and have a
WAYLAND option?  We should also check, probably just in case, if portmgr
thinks an exp run is needed (I don't think so).

Regards!
--
Niclas