Setting system user home directory

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 20 19:32:47 UTC 2017

Am 20.12.17 um 15:12 schrieb Adam Vande More:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Dmytro Bilokha <dmytro at posteo.net> wrote:
>
>> Guys, thanks for your help. I've managed to adjust user's homedir
>> using pkg-install script. Now I'll try to move everything writable
>> from /usr/local to /var (as Miroslav suggested), test and submit the new
>> port version.
>
> I think you should do what makes sense for your application.  The /var/db
> stuff is not a hard fast rule and it doesn't work well for many
> situations.  Also it's mostly system related DB's that live there.  It's
> not only some java related ports that live mostly under /usr but also
> things like postgres(at least used to).
>
> IMO, as long as you're not flagrantly violating hier(7), do what is best
> for your port.

For a port that needs quite a large database (password hashes from accounts
that have been leaked), I implemented an option to initialize the application
by downloading the data files after the user had a chance to select a place
for the data (by editing the config file). The default is in /var/db, but the
user may prefer a home directory or some sub-directory of /usr/local/ ...

Regards, STefan