Vote: making wayland=on default

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Wed Dec 20 17:39:10 UTC 2017

On 12/20/17 01:20, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> For any Desktop user (as well as embedded devices
> like IVI-systems and whatnot), Wayland is the future. There's no
> escaping that.

Over the history of its development, Wayland could never clearly answer
the question "What are the benefits of Wayland for the end user?".
Additionally, they always advocated the removal of features like
networked connections, window manager features.

It appears that this is the case of fixing of something (xorg) that
wasn't/isn't broken in the first place. And if it is considered broken,
then how, in which way?

But you are right, it is a reality that Wayand devs had enough
horsepower to eventually, after many years, make it and now impose it on
everybody, and force it to be a future reality.

There are a lot of things that need to be verified that they work:
x11vnc, the ability to connect to a display remotely, every window
manager should work with it, ex. xfce4, dwm.

People should be asking the question "What's the benefit of the
transition to X?". The answer should include the functional benefits to
users, not just "We need to switch to something called X." What new
features or improvements will users actually see?

Just my 2c.
Yuri