Setting system user home directory

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:12:54 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Dmytro Bilokha <dmytro at posteo.net> wrote:

> Guys, thanks for your help. I've managed to adjust user's homedir
> using pkg-install script. Now I'll try to move everything writable
> from /usr/local to /var (as Miroslav suggested), test and submit the new
> port version.

I think you should do what makes sense for your application.  The /var/db
stuff is not a hard fast rule and it doesn't work well for many
situations.  Also it's mostly system related DB's that live there.  It's
not only some java related ports that live mostly under /usr but also
things like postgres(at least used to).

IMO, as long as you're not flagrantly violating hier(7), do what is best
for your port.

--
Adam