OSS Audio

Alexander Leidinger Alexander at leidinger.net
Tue Dec 19 09:26:27 UTC 2017

Quoting blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> (from Tue, 19 Dec 2017
00:28:23 +0800):

> there's the alsa-lib from audio/alsa-lib
> there's https://sourceforge.net/p/opensound/git/ci/master/tree/lib/libsalsa/
> from oss that wraps alsa code, would there be issues with any of that in
> the kernel?

Yes there would be an issue. It doesn't belong into the kernel. It's
an userland library. It belongs into the userland (where it is right
now) = /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib.

And to answer the question which may come if it makes sense to include
it into the FreeBSD basesystem (userland) instead of having it in the
ports collection: right now (without any program in the FreeBSD base
system) it doesn't make sense. If there is a program which makes use
of alsa-lib which shall be imported into the FreeBSD basesystem (not
discussing right now if such a program makes sense in the FreeBSD
basesystem as we don't have an explicit example to look at), then it
makes sense.

Bye,
Alexander.
--