A small problem after switching from portmaster to synth

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:50:40 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:
> On 19 December 2017 at 08:52, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm seeing a lot of this in the daily security email after switching:
>>
>>      Checking for packages with mismatched checksums:
>>      db5-5.3.28_6:
>> /usr/local/share/doc/db5/api_reference/C/BDB-C_APIReference.pdf
>>
>> On one of my machines, it goes on for hundreds of lines, mostly for postgresql.
>
> This is not a synth issue, but possibly a security issue. The security
> check is correctly flagging possibly hi-jacked files. You should
> forcibly reinstall the port to ensure that the artifacts that the port
> builds is what you've got installed on your host. I have to say that
> the only lines that have been flagged for me are due to the port
> binary altering files configuration files, which should have been
> located in /var instead of /usr/local.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>
I have a file called ports.txt, which I used for portmaster. It
contains the master list of ports for this machine, and has the
following lines in it:
   benchmarks/iperf
   ftp/curl
   ftp/wget
   mail/postfix
   ports-mgmt/pkg
   ports-mgmt/portmaster
   security/ike-scan
   security/nmap
   security/sslscan
   www/lynx
   net/mosh
   dns/bind-tools
   security/metasploit
   sysutils/tmux

I tried this, with the following result:
   root at fbsd01p:~ # synth force /root/ports.txt
   Regenerating flavor index: this may take a while ...
   Scanning entire ports tree.
    progress: 100.00%

   raised ADA.IO_EXCEPTIONS.NAME_ERROR : file
"/var/synth/live_packages/All/" does not exist

These are the lines that have me scratching my head on this machine
from the daily security email:
   Checking negative group permissions:
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pijul/Makefile: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pijul/distinfo: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pijul/pkg-descr: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pijul: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/ppl/Makefile: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/ppl/distinfo: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/ppl/pkg-descr: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/ppl/pkg-plist: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/ppl: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/py-pyopencl/Makefile: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/py-pyopencl/distinfo: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/py-pyopencl/files: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/py-pyopencl/pkg-descr: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/py-pyopencl: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pylint/Makefile: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pylint/distinfo: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pylint/pkg-descr: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pylint/pkg-plist: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/pylint: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk/Makefile: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk/distinfo: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk/pkg-descr: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-core/Makefile: No such file
or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-core/distinfo: No such file
or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-core/pkg-descr: No such file
or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-core: No such file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-resources/Makefile: No such
file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-resources/distinfo: No such
file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-resources/pkg-descr: No such
file or directory
   find: /usr/ports/devel/rubygem-aws-sdk-resources: No such file or directory

   Checking for packages with mismatched checksums:
   p5-XML-SAX-0.99_2: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/XML/SAX/ParserDetails.ini

On another machine, it looks like "synth force" is working, but I'm
sure it's going to take a while.

Kurt