OSS Audio

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 17 13:11:22 UTC 2017

Am 17.12.17 um 02:06 schrieb blubee blubeeme:
> This is why I am bringing up the issue and why I said the first step would
> be porting the proper 4Front OSS into the kernel.
>
> It doesn't have to be the default at first but if it's not in the kernel
> why bother wasting time to have it rejected because of all the
> misconceptions I've been dealing with in these threads.
>
> Add 4Front OSS to the kernel
> Use the 4.x API/ Documentation
> Add it to an audio programming section of FBSD Handbook
> Upstream changes that make sense
> Simplify audio programming, documentation, all those audio sound servers
> Port device drivers to the OSS Device Driver API:
> http://manuals.opensound.com/sources/drv_index.html

Do you propose to just update the code to what 4Front provides?

This may work for you as individual user, but the 4Front license makes
it impossible to commit that version to FreeBSD. (That was the reason
to stay at a reasonably licensed version, very long ago.)

Or do you propose a clean-room implementation that in the end is fully
compatible with 4Front OSS 4.x, but does not violate their license and
intellectual property rights?

You are welcome to start with such a clean-room implementation and it
may even be accepted into FreeBSD, once you are ready (provided there
really is no risk of legal problems in any part of the world).

Regards, STefan