new portmaster fails to build devel/py-libzfs at py36 because of failing cython

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 17 13:01:54 UTC 2017

Am 17.12.17 um 05:47 schrieb Jim Trigg:

> On December 15, 2017 4:50:53 AM EST, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all.
>> First of all thank you for the update of portmaster, much appreciated.
>>
>> When i am updating my ports, portmaster fails with the following error.
>>
>> ====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
>> ===>>> Starting check for runtime dependencies
>> ===>>> Gathering dependency list for lang/cython at py36 from ports
>> ===>>> Dependency check complete for lang/cython at py36
>>
>> ===>>> devel/py-libzfs at py36 1/10 >> lang/cython at py36 (1/1)
>>
>> ===>  Installing for py36-cython-0.26
>> ===>  Checking if py36-cython already installed
>> ===>   Registering installation for py36-cython-0.26 as automatic
>> Installing py36-cython-0.26...
>> pkg-static: py36-cython-0.26 conflicts with cython3-0.26 (installs
>> files
>> into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/cygdb-3.6
>> *** Error code 70
>>
>> Stop.
>> make: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/cython
>>
>> ===>>> Installation of py36-cython-0.26 (lang/cython at py36) failed
>> ===>>> Aborting update
>>
>> ===>>> Update for lang/cython at py36 failed
>> ===>>> Aborting update
>>
>> ===>>> Update for devel/py-libzfs at py36 failed
>> ===>>> Aborting update
>>

>> Is there someting i can try or do?

Yes, try the latest version of portmaster that I just committed ...

Adding flavor support to portmaster was complicated by the way parameters are
passed from one phase (config options, dependency checks, ...) to the final
build process.

It worked if either the port origin or package name changed when a port was
upgraded, but not if both were changed simultaneously.

And that was just the case with cython, were the origin changed from
"lang/cython3" to "lang/cython" (with flavor py36) and the package name from
"cython3-0.26" to "py36-cython-0.26".

There was no way for portmaster to make the connection between the old and new
version if both changed at a time, and thus it failed to deinstall the old
version before installing the new one.

I plan to completely change the way state is maintained in portmaster (from
implicit by some global variables being set) to explicit state variables, and
at the same time pass parameters explicitly.

But this will be a major change, which will void any patches that have been
attached to PRs and Issues, and will make it much harder to work on them.

> Question: is 3.6 your default python version? I've discovered that the current version
> of portmaster uses python default version for dependencies when building a flavored
> port.

Dependencies should be built based on the different *_DEPENDS variables
defined in the port's Makefile and the *.mk files of the port framework.

Portmaster currently only accepts the notation of "origin at flavor" when a new
port of a given flavor is to be installed. I'm planning to add a --flavor
option for that purpose, but I have to be careful not to introduce any
regressions by doing so.

Regards, STefan