github: handmade vs autogenerated distibution

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 14 23:08:17 UTC 2017

Le 14/12/2017 à 21:43, Sergei Vyhenski a écrit :
> Playing with GH_* variables, I was able to fetch A-tarball within
> guidelines of
> bsd.sites.mk.

Or you could have read the Porter's Handbook's section on it:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html#makefile-master_sites-github

It would probably have been faster that trying to reverse engineer what
is being done in there.

> PORTNAME=       expat
> PORTVERSION=    2.2.5
> MASTER_SITES=
> https://github.com/libexpat/libexpat/releases/download/R_${PORTVERSION:S|.|_|g}/
>
> Also, this project has declared that it moves from SF to GH. It still
> publishes H-tarballs on SF. But it seems that switching of the FreeBSD
> port to take distribution from GH is inevitable.
>
> Do you think that explicit MASTER_SITES instead of USE_GITHUB (thus
> using H-tarball) here contradicts to some rules of good stile?

No.

> Do you think that fighting with A-tarball is always necessary?

You should always use released tarballs, if they are available, people
go through much efforts to make them so that people can build their
software more easily. The git archive you get from USE_GITHUB should
only be used if nothing else is available.

--
Mathieu Arnold