OSS Audio

Sid sid at bsdmail.com
Thu Dec 14 21:35:58 UTC 2017

> I prefer simplicity over complexity,
All ports and packages should be built with audio/sndio and audio/portaudio (not pulseaudio) as default for the front end to the FreeBSD's native OSS backend.

> I want the best possible audio for my system. I work with synthesizers and
> audio programs a lot and on Linux for pro audio everyone recommended using
> Jack sound server, which was always a pain to maintain, keep connections
> between sessions, etc...

> After learning more about audio, I realized that Jack only complicated
> things and OSS can do what jack without needing the additional complexity
> of Jack server.

> If I can provide OSS audio/midi input and output for the tools that I use,
> then I can do all the routing natively with OSS.

I thought Jack was a necessity for MIDI instruments and professional music production. If you say OSS can do it, then that's great.
sndio, and sometimes portaudio, is often required as a frontend, in order to replace ALSA and other complicated sound architectures.

> I ran osstest on my system and I was shocked how great my
> sound system is
This is what they commonly say about SNDIO and PORTAUDIO over FreeBSD's native version (/driver) of OSS.