Procmail Vulnerabilities check

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Mon Dec 11 15:42:56 UTC 2017

Hi!

> > On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 02:58:29PM -0800, Chris H wrote:
> > > OK I'm puzzled a bit. FreeBSD' motto has always been:
> > > FreeBSD
> > > The power to serve!
> > >
> > > but many of the proposed, and recent changes/removals end up more like:
> > > FreeBSD
> > > I's castrated!

> > So, then we should add a web server into our base! Apache? NGINX? Both?
> > But then, what about PHP? MySQL? PostgreSQL? We want to serve websites,
> > after all! Let's talk about fileservers. Samba! I could go on...
> OK. That's simply an irrelevant argument. I never advocated for the
> *addition* of anything. Only against the *removal* of something most users
> have come to expect with the installation of FreeBSD.

The argument was made to show the general idea, not to nit-pick 8-}

As packaging base is also on the horizon, see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br6izhH5P1I

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7px6ktoDAI

the debate will pop up in any case.

> > FreeBSD's power to serve slogan is about delivering the platform to
> > serve, not all possible server software. [...]

> In all fairness, that's just pure supposition. I would suggest that it is
> more probable that more users use Sendmail 1) because it came with the
> FreeBSD install, and 2) as such, makes it easier to implement.

Then it's time to start some research, if this hypothesis really holds.

I know that the folks at dovecot.fi did this in February for dovecot, see

openemailsurvey.org

It was made using shodan, maybe it's time to do the same for port 25
via shodan ?

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !