make reinstall does not work

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 11 11:38:45 UTC 2017

Am 09.12.17 um 00:29 schrieb Shawn Webb:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 10:35:50PM +0100, Walter Schwarzenfeld wrote:
>> I had a strange error: Make reinstall does not work anymore in the port
>> (10.3-amd64) also FORCE_PKG_REGISTER.
>>
>> All other make commands works fine. I don't know if it is related to
>> FLAVORS.
>>
>> make reinstall ended up e.g. with:
>>
>> ??Registering installation for gtk2-2.24.31
>> *** Error code 70
>>
>> Stop.
>> make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Any idea or suggestion?
>
> This is due to this commit:
> https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/commit/7991c49665419916210ad589d4a85fd2a7f58b37
>
> The standard procedure for reinstall is to do a deinstall first. I
> guess it's pretty common just to issue `make reinstall` (which is what
> I used to do as well). However, that's not the originally intended
> behavior as designed in the Ports build framework.
>
> So: just do a `make deinstall reinstall`. It'll work that way.

"make reinstall" combines 2 actions:

1) De-installation of the currently installed version of the port, if any.

2) Installation of  the port even if the work directory contains the tag-files
   that indicate that the port has already been installed after building.

If you did not complete an installation of a freshly built port, then
"make deinstall reinstall" is equivalent to "make deinstall install" and ought
to be equivalent to a plain "make reinstall" IMHO.

Could the "70" correspond to the SQLITE_INDEX_CONSTRAINT_ISNOTNULL error code
returned by SQlite operating on the package DB?

Regards, STefan