License and adopting software

Chris H portmaster at BSDforge.com
Mon Dec 11 07:30:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:24:53 +0800 "blubee blubeeme" <gurenchan at gmail.com> said

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:
>
> > On 11 December 2017 at 17:17, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I like some old software that's <= GPL2 but it seems like the original
> > > developer is not and have not done any work on the software sine mid
> > 2000.
> > >
> > > I'd like to pick up the project, fix bugs BUT i'd like to migrate from
> > GPL
> > > to BSD license.
> > >
> > > How does one go about doing that? I have seen the GPL code but it could
> > be
> > > re-written how would that affect me re-writing the code with a new copy
> > > center license?
> >
> > You basically have to get the original author to reassign copyright to
> > you; after which you can do whatever you like to it. If you're basing
> > your new work on the original work, you have to respect the LICENCE
> > that it came with.
It's also worth noting; you can dual-license it. That is:
their code == their license
your code (additions) == your license
At some point ( < 50% ?) their code becomes a little less relevant, and it's
questionable as to the pertinence/relevance of their (GPL) license. But theirs
much rebuttal on that point. I'd (personally) consider it irrelevant at that
point, *especially* when it's suffering bit rot, and the original author is
unresponsive. But in the end, it's up to you to make that decision/choice. :-)
Oh, and I'm *not* advocating jacking/stealing any ones code. Just debating the
extent of the GPL license.

--Chris