make reinstall does not work

Franco Fichtner franco at lastsummer.de
Mon Dec 11 06:49:48 UTC 2017

> On 11. Dec 2017, at 7:34 AM, Kurt Jaeger <lists at opsec.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> On Sunday, 10 December 2017 at 20:32:38 +0100, Walter Schwarzenfeld wrote:
>>> Look at the link in Shawn Webb's post:
>>>
>>> bapt (Baptisse Daroussin) wrote
>>>
>>>      *bapt <https://github.com/bapt> * replied Nov 16, 2017
>>>      <https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/commit/7991c49665419916210ad589d4a85fd2a7f58b37#commitcomment-25649084>
>>
>> You should have quoted that in your reply.  And are we really now
>> using github as the primary repository?
>
> pkg is developed on github, because as a tool it is supposed
> to be portable to other unix-like OS variants.
>
> So the link to github is the link to upstream.

Now that that is sorted, can somebody please fix Mk/bsd.port.mk,
because it says, and probably has said for years...

# reinstall             - Install the results of a build, ignoring "already installed" flag.

And the whole premise of "reinstall" being used as "deinstall reinstall"
in the face of "deinstall install" is just silly, either by deleting
the reinstall target or making it a composite target of deinstall + install
to not break existing tools / workflows.

It's worrisome that such latent fixes are not considered bugs, more so that
the inner workings of bsd.port.mk do not reflect that shift in "expected
behaviour" in any way; and even more so that long discussions are ongoing
where non-committers bring up issues and nobody with a commit bit cares to
even ask what could be wrong.

Cheers,
Franco