Procmail Vulnerabilities check

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Sun Dec 10 21:49:12 UTC 2017

> On 10 Dec, 2017, at 10:11, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 01:21:13PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Hence the current sendmail in base is neither fish nor fowl: way
>> overpowered for almost all installations, but with significant
>> limitations for a machine providing a full-blown mail service.
>> Personally I agree with his reasoning: unless the primary function of
>> your FreeBSD machine is to be an MTA, you really don't need any more
>> capability than to either deliver to a local mailbox, or forward all
>> e-mails to a smart host.  Certainly you don't need anything capable of
>> receiving incoming e-mails.
>
> I disagree.  FreeBSd used to pride itself on being a complete operating
> system oout-of-the-box.  Lately, a smaller number of developers are
> moving FreeBSD to being a kernel with a bunch of add-on software.
>
> dma(1) does not support a .forward file and by extension vacation(1).
> Without .forward, then those of use who use procmail(1) (subject of
> this email thread) in .forward and by extension spamassisin are
> hosed.
>
> Chapter 27 of the FreeBSD Handbook would need to be rewritten before
> sendmail can be removed.  It is assumed that sendmail is installed
> with base.

Hi Steve,

I agree with you about the merits of FreeBSD providing a complete system
out-of-the-box. But of all the mail servers out there, sendmail is the most
archaic and arcane. Sendmail is used primarily by people who are intimately
familiar with it over a long history, and simply isn’t a great choice for
people getting into mail servers. I’d rather see sendmail installable
through ports, and replaced in base with a better solution. Sendmail is too
difficult to configure correctly; we should keep it trivial to install
(i.e. ports) for those who prefer it, but it shouldn’t be our primary
recommendation for users looking for a new MTA.

DMA is a phenomenal program and is totally sufficient for a large
percentage of our user-base. I wasn’t aware of the lack of .forward
support, and I completely agree that that’s a very detrimental omission.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org