make reinstall does not work

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 17:59:50 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> On Saturday,  9 December 2017 at 12:04:02 +0100, Walter Schwarzenfeld
> wrote:
> > Thanks, this explains and solved the problem.
>
> What?  And how?
>
> Greg

Good question. "make reinstall" is, indeed, broken. I have been looking at
bsd.ports.mk and reinstall simply deletes the .install_done and
.package_done files from the work directory and than attempts to do a "make
-DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install" and that used to work.

Now the install target is looking at the pkgdb and finding that the package
is already installed, even with the FORCE_PKG_REGISTER, throws an error
that is not handled. I think this is a bug as it is simply not properly
handled. I'm not sufficiently good at make scripting to be sure of this,
but that appears to be what going on. I am not sure if this can be safely
fixed or if the 'reinstall' target should be removed.

I should also note that reinstall has changed drastically since pkgng came
on the scene, so my prior look at this was totally obsolete. Sorry.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com